Ice cream and cake are both dessert foods, but do you know which one is better for you? It turns out the answer might surprise you!
The first question to answer before choosing whether or not ice cream or cake is healthier for your body is how much sugar they contain. Cake often contains more sugar than ice cream, but it also has less fat and fewer calories. The next thing to consider when trying to decide which one is healthier for your body is if either of these two options contains any other unhealthy ingredients like saturated fat or trans fat (cake might be okay in this case depending on the recipe).
Things to Consider
When you are ready to choose, consider these facts. Ice cream consists of milk, cream, sugar (or honey), and other ingredients like artificial colors and flavors. It is often eaten in the form of scoops or balls and it is typically served with a spoon or a cone. The main food groups include milk products, sweets, fat-containing foods (like butter or oil), and refined grains such as white flour.
Cake also consists of milk, eggs, butter or margarine (fat) and other ingredients like salt, flour or sugary syrup. It is often eaten in the form of slices which can be served with a fork and knife. It is made mostly from refined starch such as white flour. The main food groups are fats and oils, sweets, and refined grains.
So which one is healthier for you? In a comparison of 100 calories worth of each one (which is about the same volume that you would eat in one sitting), cake beats out ice cream as healthier for your body. Also, cake has more fiber, vitamins and minerals compared to ice cream. In addition to this, eating healthy can help improve your health even if you choose a dessert over a meal for some occasions. The following tips will help you find out what’s best for you.
- Cake (if made with whole-grain flour) beats out ice cream as healthier for your body in the following categories: Fiber, Fat, Cholesterol, Carbohydrates and Protein.
- Ice cream (if made with whole-grain flour) beats cake as healthier for your body in the following categories: Fiber and Protein.
- A small serving of ice cream has the same amount of calories, saturated fat as a full serving of cake.
- Ice cream has the same amount of fiber as cake, but it has less sugar and more protein.
- Ice cream is full of vitamins and minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium and vitamins C, D and E. Cake does not contain these nutrients.
Also Read: Foods that are rich in Magnesium
There are so many different recipes to choose from for ice cream. You can make some even with simple ingredients such as frozen fruits or plain yogurt. Others contain toppings such as chocolate sprinkles or whipped cream. They may actually make them a little healthier compared to ice-cream from a tub. The same goes for cake. Some are simply made with eggs and flour while others contain chocolate chips or white chocolate chips that may make them healthier than traditional cake.
Choosing a healthy dessert might not be as easy as you thought, but it doesn’t have to be. The following tips will help you learn how to choose a healthy treat.
- Instead of choosing an ice cream only, try making ice cream at home or picking up something that contains fruit instead of sugar like yogurt or plain frozen yogurt instead of regular ice cream.
- Try making homemade cakes, muffins, pizza crusts or brownies instead of buying from the store.
- Try making healthy snack mixes at home using ingredients like whole grain, nuts and dried fruit or unsweetened dried fruit to make them healthier.
- Choose a dessert that includes a serving of milk, cheese or yogurt instead of just a sugary treat.
- Try freezing fresh fruit for a healthy dessert treat. It’s easy to do! Just wash and slice the fruit you want to freeze into bite-sized pieces, place on a baking sheet and freeze until solid before transferring to freezer bags or containers. Then you can add them to smoothies. Eat them on their own or use them in other desserts like ice cream.
You can choose a healthy dessert by mixing and matching different ingredients. There is also an option of making an ice-cream cake. You can even make a healthier dessert combining fruit with whole grains, nuts and dairy products or unsweetened dried fruit. Explore different recipes until you find something that is right for you. Remember, it’s okay to have a treat once in awhile. Just be sure to stick with small portions and choose healthier options.