Have you ever been sick and felt sore throat pain? If so, this blog post is for you! There are many methods to soothe the pain of a sore throat including gargling, drinking warm tea, massaging your neck and temples, chewing gum. This article will help you find what works for you.
Valuable tips to keep in mind when treating your sore throat
- Save hot liquids for first few hours of symptoms because heat can worsen irritation.
- Smear honey on back of throat or mix with baking soda if it’s too irritating even with gargling.
- Treat mild cases by resting your head on a pillow in a sitting position with the neck elevated.
- Warm salt water, soup or chicken broth on the back of throat by using a special cup, spoon or tea kettle.
- Apply warm compresses to your neck and temples if only mild symptoms have occurred.
- To get more relief from a sore throat, gargle with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda mixed with 1/2 cup warm water. Dissolve fully before swallowing, leave for 2 minutes and then swallow. Repeat 6-8 times per day or as needed.
Some additional tips to choose the right treatment
- Try gentle massages on your neck and temples to ease pain and calm you down.
- Chew gum to relieve pressure and swelling in the mouth caused by a sore throat .
- Gargle every two hours with an offensive-tasting gargle until you no longer feel severe pain or irritation in the throat or tonsils
- Dry off with a handkerchief after gargling because swallowing saliva can worsen irritation when you have a sore throat.
- It’s better for a child to rest in a sitting position with his or her head slightly raised to ease swallowing and breathing.
- When the pain starts to ease up, try eating soft foods like mashed potatoes, cooked vegetables or soft pasta.
- Take vitamin C to help you feel better faster because it boosts the immune system when you have a sore throat .
- Chew on some chamomile or lemon-flavored gum if your throat hurts from hot liquids and food, or drink some tea if that’s what causes the irritation in your throat .
Hope you found this article useful. Don’t hesitate to leave comments and share your experience with us.
FAQs about sore throat
–How do you get a sore throat?
Sore throats are more common in winter and the reason is exposure to the cold and flu viruses. Other reasons include having dry air due to central heating systems, exposure to smoke and pollution.
–Can I use a humidifier on my home to avoid dry air?
Using a humidifier can help reduce the symptoms of sore throats, but if you’re using one that uses water you need to be careful not to overheat your home. Have an expert look at it first before making any changes to ensure that the air in your home is in the right proportion between humidity and temperature.
–Why is my throat very sore?
You may have a simple sore throat if bacteria is present in your throat, like strep or tonsillitis, which may cause pain and tenderness. Sometimes there are other causes such as a fever with other symptoms like fatigue or worsening headache.