Rice is a basic staple food in many countries around the world. It has been a part of humanity for as long as records exist. In ancient times, people considered it as a royal dish, fit only to be eaten by the rich and powerful because it required specialized cooking techniques that were time-consuming and labor-intensive. In this blog post, I will present you with techniques of making rice in an instant pot. Hope, you’ll find it helpful.
Do not make a mistake and put the rice directly in the instant pot. Eventually, the rice will clog the valve and you may have to contact customer service for a replacement part.
Thankfully, modern kitchen appliances such as the instant pot, pressure cookers, and other devices allow you to make rice in minutes with just a few steps. The Instant Pot pressure cooker is an electric appliance that produces food under pressure, which means that the food cooks at a very high temperature (350-450 degrees) and in less time than cooking traditionally cooked rice.
Easy steps to make rice in an instant pot
- Soak 8oz of white or brown rice, up to overnight in 2 cups of water. This step will make the grains soft and fluffy.
- Place soaked rice into your instant pot and pour 4 cups of water over it .
- Lock the lid, press rice, and set the timer to “5 minutes.”
- When the rice is ready, manually release pressure and fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
You can also make it in an instant pot in 45 minutes or less by choosing the “manual” button on your appliance and then setting it to “20” minutes under high pressure.
Another option is to use your instant pot as a slow cooker by choosing “slow cook” instead of “rice. “
The 8oz of rice will serve about 4 people.
You can add flavor to your rice by adding butter, salt, and pepper or other herbs and spices when it’s done cooking.
Rice in an instant pot is very easy to make once you get the hang of it but there are many ways that you can make it better. When using an 8-quart round instant pot, you can cook 12 oz of white rice in less than 20 minutes if you fill the bottom of the pot with enough water to allow steam to escape (about 1 cup of water). You can also add two or three cloves of garlic with the soaked rice if you like garlic flavor. You can also add 2 or 3 tablespoons of butter and some fresh rosemary, sage, thyme, or other herbs and spices to the recipe.
Things to avoid while making it
- As already mentioned, do not make a mistake and put the rice directly in the instant pot. Eventually, the rice will clog the valve and you may have to contact customer service for a replacement part.
- Do not add too much water in pressure cooking mode as it can create a mess.
If you are new to making rice in an instant pot, you might want to practise with a couple of batches until you get it right.