If you’re a sandwich eater, you’ve come across mayonaise before. But what exactly is it? Well, to answer this question, we have to go back in history!
Mayonnaise is an emulsion made by blending oil with an egg yolk, mustard or vinegar and other spices that form its base. If the mixture is left to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes or more without being refrigerated, bacteria can grow in it and cause illness.
Ok, back into it.
Step-by-step Guide on how to make mayonaise
- Start by whisking an egg yolk in a bowl until it becomes an even-coloured mixture.
- Next, add in salt, pepper and vinegar. You can also add any other ingredients that you want to give your mayonnaise some extra flavor!
- Now, using a food processor or hand blender, work half the oil at a time into the egg yolk mixture. This will prevent the sauce from separating. It should appear to thicken as you are blending in the oil.
- The mayonnaise should be thick and creamy. If it is runny, blend in more oil.
How to use mayonaise?
Well, first you can use it as a spread on sandwiches, burgers and in sauces. But you can also use it for dips and decoration.
A very popular way to eat mayonaise is with chips.
So there you have it! Now you know how to make your very own homemade mayonaise ! If you give this a try, make sure to send me a picture over on Facebook or Twitter and let me know how it turns out!
FAQs about mayonaise
1) What is mayonnaise made from?
-Essentially, it consists of oil, vinegar or lemon juice, salt and pepper. Some people add other things to it to change the texture or taste. However, when you get it commercially, they typically have preservatives in them so they will last longer. If you are making your own homemade mayonnaise , then you don’t have to worry about these preservatives.
-The emulsification process is what makes mayonaise a spreadable substance.
2) Is mayo healthy to eat?
-Yes, it is. In fact, it is considered to be a good source of protein for many people. It also has omega 3 fatty acids which are very healthy for you.
-It is also a low-calorie way to get some extra vitamins and nutrients into your diet.
-It has zero carbohydrates too which makes it great for those who are managing their weight or who have diabetes since most carbs tend to raise blood sugar levels quickly.
-The only time you need to be careful with mayonnaise is if you add too much salt and/or fats into your homemade version.
I hope I could help some of you who are going to try making your own homemade mayonnaise now.