Nothing beats a delicious, gourmet meal when you’re in a hurry. Not to mention, you can impress your friends and family with your newfound culinary skills. This article will show you how easy it is to cook two of our favorite dishes, grilled asparagus and roasted potatoes, specially on the stovetop! Read on for the instructions.
Step-by-step process on how to cook asparagus on the stovetop
- Start by removing the woody ends from the asparagus and then cut it in half (or thirds if it’s too thick).
- Put a skillet over medium-high heat and then add vegetable oil, butter, or olive oil. The best kind of oil to use is coconut oil! It has a very high smoke point, so you will notice very little burning when cooking with this oil.
- Add asparagus to the skillet once it’s hot enough. Some varieties may cook faster than others so be sure to monitor their progress.
- Stir occasionally to avoid burning. If they start to look sad, you may already have to add a bit of water.
- After about five minutes, check to see if they are cooked through. For ease of cooking, we recommend purchasing pre-cut asparagus so that you can cut it with ease!
Step-by-step process on how to cook potatoes on the stovetop:
- Go ahead and cut your potatoes into long sticks without peeling them. They will stick together during cooking so you may break them apart before serving. If your cuts are extremely thick or thick enough already, you can skip this step altogether!
- Put the cut potatoes in a pan and then pour vegetable oil over and around.
- Place in a preheated oven and cook for about 30 minutes. Check on your potatoes throughout the cooking process to see if they need more oil, but don’t add too much at once!
- Next, take out the potatoes and add salt, if desired. Finally, serve them up hot with your favorite meal or add them to salads later on!
Safety tips when cooking asparagus
Asparagus is generally very safe when cooked properly, but you will want to watch out for it when grilling or roasting at a high temperature. Never cut your asparagus until after you have washed them very thoroughly under cold running water.
Recommended: How to make pizza thin crust?