If you love onions but find their flavour can be overpowering, or if you want something with a rich, mellow taste that won’t overwhelm the other ingredients in your recipe, then this is definitely the ingredient for you. It’s also worth remembering that when caramelizing onions they are sweeter and milder in flavour than when they are raw.
Step-by-step Guide on making Caramelized onion
- Cut the onion in half and carefully peel off the skin.
- Slice thinly. Slice as thinly as you can, this will give you a good depth of flavour and colour, without making the onions too watery. If you are using small onions cut them in half before slicing them so that they cook evenly.
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and add your sliced onions. Sauté for approximately 15 minutes, stirring from time to time, until soft and caramelized brown . The onions should be sweet and slightly raw when first added to the pan but should become deep brown and richly caramelized within 15 minutes or so.
- Add sugar to your caramelized onions. You can add sugar if you like, as it will make them sweeter, but this is not essential.
- Half cover with water and cook for 20 minutes over a low heat until soft and sweet. The level of doneness can be controlled by either the amount of liquid used or the cooking time (though the liquid is not necessary). If you prefer chunky onions then just cook for a short period of time , if you like them smooth and soft then add more liquid
- Serve with meat, steak, lamb or pork. Caramelized white onions are not only delicious with roast chicken but also complement grilled salmon or even grilled cheese sandwiches . It can also be served with beans, fried potatoes, over omelettes or pasta.
- To store caramelized onions: put them in a jar and cover them with oil, they will keep in the fridge like this for a couple of weeks. Or you can freeze small amounts of caramelized onions. Once cooked this onion is best eaten within 10-15 days.
Caramelized onions are really easy to make and their flavour is so much richer than raw or fried onions. They can be used as a quick and tasty sandwich topping (like on our famous steak sandwiches) or as an accompaniment to many foods from grilled chicken to kebabs .
FAQs about Caramelized onions
1) Are Caramelized onions popular ?
-I don’t think so but many people do love them. So you never know. They can be very addictive indeed if you’re not careful!!
2) How do I store them? Should it be refrigerated or frozen?
-Refrigerate or freeze them in oil and keep for up to 6 months. Once cooked this onion is best eaten within 10-15 days.
3) What should I serve with Caramelized onion? -I like them served with grilled chicken, kebabs , roast or grilled beef and of course steak sandwiches . Also good with beans, fried potatoes or pasta.
4) What is the difference between caramelized and roasted onions? -The roasted onion is very burnt and soft to touch. The caramelized onion is sweet and crunchy. They both go together well when cooked together in a dish. Who knew there was such a difference between them?!
5) Where do you buy Caramelized onions?
-You can find Caramelized onions at most supermarkets and most fresh fruit stores.